ChickinStew

Friday, June 25, 2010

Philly is a nice city.

I'm in Philadelphia right now for a conference, and it's the fourth time I've been here for work, the second time in a year. Last summer I spent about a week here while on a video shoot. I've gotten to know the city a little bit in this time, and I have to say, I am liking it. It's a big city without the attitude--there's great places to eat here, lots of history, cool clubs, bands I like actually play here--I wouldn't mind moving here someday if I could find the right job.

Of course my like of Philly may have something to do with being here on the company funds. Last summer, I stayed at the Windsor Suites, where I had my own kitchenette while I was here on the shoot, and I walked to Whole Foods and bought groceries for the week. I have been wined and dined at amazing places like Amada and Barclay Prime. I just spent the last 3 nights eating well and drinking red wine and Dewar's and water on the company dime, at places I really couldn't afford on my own.

Traveling for work is no longer a novelty for me, but the dinners and drinks certainly make up for the hardship of being away from my husband and home for a few days. It sounds like a blast I know, but when I travel I get off my routine, I eat rich foods and drink copious amounts of alcohol, wake up in the middle of the night with reflux, don't get up and go running because I'm hungover, and then stand on the show floor for seven hours until my feet stab and schmooze till I want to stab people. Meanwhile, email and work piles up back at the office, and when I check emails late at night, the stress comes flooding back. All in all, it's not a party, and there's a price to pay for the time away from the office.

Still, I really love it when I get to know a city from my brief work travels. Most of the trips aren't memorable, but I try to do at least one interesting or memorable thing when I'm away.  Like that time in Memphis when I visited Graceland by myself; or the amazing run I took along Puget Sound in Seattle; the Devotchka show I saw in Philly; drinking my way around Epcot in an afternoon; walking along the gold-flecked beach at the Hotel del Coronado in San Diego. Even though I'm tired, slightly queasy, tipsy, and overworked, it has been a good week. Welcome to wherever you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment