ChickinStew

Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Farmer's Market High

As a result of reading the world-shattering food books by Michael Pollan, we have started dutifully attending our local Schenectady Greenmarket inside of the Proctor's theater walkway. We've been doing this for a couple of months now, and it has become something we look forward to doing together. I now can say that we have an 'egg guy,' a 'milk guy,' as well as a bread/cheese/candle/jam/honey guy. Or gal, as the case may be.

Sunday mornings we get up, watch the CBS morning show (when we get up early enough that is) from 9:30 to 10:30, then we mosey out to the farmer's market between 11-12. We bring about $30 cash with us and we spend it all every time. It started out small, with us just buying food--eggs, bread, cheese, beets--but it has since blossomed into this weird, happy, self-indulgent shopping trip. Today I bought almond shea butter for my hands, and beeswax candles for Easter gifts. And today we finally discovered the milk vendor, who also sells ice cream...you see how this is going to go.

I don't know what it is, but there is something about going to a farmer's market that makes you feel good. It's not a feeling I usually get from regular grocery shopping, that's for sure. Everyone is so nice and smiley, there's usually an Irish band playing, and everyone is milling about politely and making eye contact. I admit I found it very unsettling the first few times, but you get used to it, then you actually start to like it. I do still have to suppress an eye roll at the overt crunchiness, but it's easy to just focus on the food, get what you need, and go. No need to stick around for the unshaven bluegrass band that plays at noon, or the occasional poetry reading.

And this is going to sound even more ridiculous, but when I'm eating a slice of whole wheat loaf slathered with strawberry-rhubarb jam, topped off with a glass of delicious reduced fat farm-fresh milk, it makes me feel even better. It's like I'm getting some kind of whole foods high. The feeling was so strong this morning that I had to ask myself: am I getting this food high because of the deliciousness of the food itself, or because I know that the food is the best, freshest quality, locally grown and sustainable, or a strange combination of both? Maybe it's the high butterfat content in the milk, but whatever it is, I am loving it. It feels good to be buying whole foods grown in my local area, and to be participating in an exchange of goods and services that is direct and honest, for a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment