ChickinStew

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Novembrrrrrrr Run

I had the best 6-mile run today, all by myself on the bike path. It was cold, sunny, quiet, and everything was dead and russet-colored. I met next to no one on the path--no bikers or runners, only a few walkers. I was all alone with my thoughts, and the sound of my own breathing. There was a chipmunk, and some birds. The river was placid and picturesquely lifeless.

I am not a social runner, nor do I run with headphones. I prefer the solitude of my own thoughts, the meditativeness of running and breathing. It helps me put things in perspective, to resolve various threads of my life in a very relaxed and non-intentional way.

In my tights, gloves, fleece, and headband, I felt deliciously self-contained and efficient, moving through the landscape, doing no harm, taking nothing with me, leaving nothing behind. I felt as if I could run forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment