ChickinStew

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Things Lost in the Wake of Industry, #2: Raking Leaves


People prefer not to rake leaves these days. They like blowing them around with a leaf blower, creating noise pollution and wasting electricity. They also don't like shoveling snow anymore, but a snowblower is something I can get behind, because snow is HEAVY and you can hurt your back shoveling it. Not so with leaves.

I raked a ton of leaves last week. I enjoyed the meditative act of raking them across the lawn, scooping them up, and putting them in a leaf/lawn bag. Even more I enjoyed seeing just how many piles I could compact and stuff into one leaf/lawn bag. It was cold out, the sky was steel gray, and the aroma of dirt and leaves added a tang to the otherwise dull November air.

The next morning, my side and back were sore. Ah, I raked leaves yesterday, I thought as I stretched, delighting in that delicious soreness as I luxuriated in the flannel sheets. And life was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment