ChickinStew

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Hey, I ate a Banana!

I read this blog yesterday and it got me thinking about changing the way I view my goals, one day at a time. I have by now established a pattern of laziness, broken up by periods of intense dedication to physical exercise and weight loss. Losing weight has never been a problem for me before, until I turned 34. Even ramping up the running to 20 miles a week for three months didn't result in the weight loss as I'd hoped (but my quads are awesome).


I've been a runner for a few years now, this year I ran the most I ever have, especially in the last few months leading up to completing my first half marathon on 10.10.10. Last winter the running tapered off in November and December and I gained 10 pounds over the holidays; this year I bought a treadmill to keep running no matter what the weather, because I will not stop running this time. Plus if I am getting pregnant at some point in the next few months, I would like to trim down a bit before I get fat with baby.


It has been getting darker earlier and earlier since the half marathon, so in these last few days before I become a treadmill owner, I still needed to keep running. We have our last big race of the year this Sunday (the 15K Stockade-a-Thon), and it's necessary to keep running (albeit not as much as when training) in the weeks leading up to a race. So my one goal for today was to change into my running clothes at work, and stop at the bike path on the way home to get a run in before the sun set at 6:00. And I did it! I got to the path at 5:20, and finished my 3-mile run just as it was getting dusky. Mission accomplished!


I'm also trying to eat more fruit and veggies.  I now eat bananas, after a lifetime of refusing to eat them on grounds that I don't like their texture. Well, I tried one, and they're not so bad--so now I eat bananas. But whenever I eat one, I need my husband to recognize and praise me for eating said banana--ridiculous I know--but it's affirmation I need, and he provides it (while rolling his eyes, of course). Sometimes you just need someone to commend you for doing what's good for you, no matter how ridiculous it seems.


Tomorrow's List of One? To do cardio for 30 minutes at home and weight training for 30 minutes. And then to relax with a glass (or two) of a nice Spanish wine and indulge in Thursday night television. 

No comments:

Post a Comment